Saturday, April 28, 2012

Beer Review

What would you think if I offered you a glass of "white lightening"?  You would expect from the name that the liquid you were going to drink was going to smack you in the face, and grab you by your nuts and tear you off your feet right?  Ok maybe I am projecting my imagination of what the name means a bit much onto you the reader.  But what the hell, I think all that stuff when I hear the name "white lightening".

Full Pint Brewing Co. has a Belgian white beer that has just that name.  "White Lightening" smacking you in the junk!  Sorry I had to.  In all seriousness this beer stands plainly enough with an uncompromising name, and honestly the name is what made me purchase this beer to try.

The initial crack of the cap, and the smell following was peppery and bitter as it came out.  After the smell the suds came shortly after in a cascade that I wasn't exactly expecting to attack me before I even poured the beer!  After that slight mishap, I managed to get the rest of this brew into a glass, and saw that this beer is HIGHLY carbonated, produced a large light head and lacing all the way through the pint glass as I drank it.  The color was perfect light golden color, one which reminded me slightly of something that Ernest Hemingway would write about when describing a sun rise.

The bright citrus notes on the initial flavor were chased down the throat with a skillful and clean balance between malt and hops.  Hints of wheat hung in the after taste as it set in my nose because of its sudsy nature.  This is absolutely a German styled white beer, and plays up those attributes that make witbier so good.

Definitely not what the name suggests, this is smooth and gentle, with great body and flavors.  None of which are overpowering.  White Lightening was a joy to drink, however I would recommend that it come in a pint glass to manage better all the head this beer produces.  It is a fantastic stand alone brew, and one that could be drank all night.

"Work is the curse of the Drinking Class" - Oscar Wilde


No comments:

Post a Comment