Friday, April 13, 2012

Beer Review

Trippy.  That is what comes to mind just LOOKING at this bottle of brew from the Magic Hat company.  Their psychedelic offering called "Vinyl Lager" is yet another seasonal beer offered by a company that has a good and solid line of beer to sample from.  From their # 9 flagship, to the seasonals like the Vinyl Lager, they produce just plain good beer.

The fragrance of barley pours out as you pop the cap on this beer, inviting you to inhale deeply.  The medium note of color is amber, and the lacing is marginal when poured into a glass.  This beer however does not need a pint glass to release its flavors and smells.  It does just fine ice cold out of the bottle too!

This beer brings to the table a middle of the road malt and hops balance.  It ventures neither way too far, which produces a nice smooth drinkable taste, however is almost completely unadventurous in flavor or feeling.  (Those who have had it, think Yuengling lager)  Don't get me wrong I did enjoy this beer, and I don't want you to think that I didn't. 

It was a smooth finisher and crisp in the hatch and I would consider it a good seasonal spring beer.  But nothing really seems to stand out on it.  There are very subtle hints of toasted barley and what could be brown sugar.  But that is just the thing, for all its smooth and light feel, and it's skillful balance, it seems to have no identity.  It waffles here and there seemingly afraid to offend someone who might not like it.  So this beer errs on the side of caution rather than stand out as a brew that has a definitive taste.

Maybe in hindsight this is what Magic Hat was going for.  I cannot say I was disappointed in it, on the contrary I enjoyed it!  I would call this a drink all day kind of beer, and might just go buy a six pack and do that this afternoon.  Damn it, maybe this is the most ingenious thing that the M.H. brew masters could have done.  I find myself wanting another, though I just don't have the slightest idea what the hell makes me want it!  Well played Magic Hat.  Well played.

" I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, That's as good as they're going to feel all day."  - Frank Sinatra
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart

No comments:

Post a Comment